Wednesday 23 November 2011

How X learns - the conclusion

Constellation it has been since my last post.
And luckily, we left for the countryside during the weekend, giving us plenty of space to look at the sky, without interference from the lights.

So here is our road into learning about the universe as to now:

I had prepared a modeling dough earth, about a week ago, while we were into earth's layer.  Not having time to do this activity with him before, I sliced the planet with him to discover what is inside.  He was so interested to see the inside of it!


I did the model with M, while X was at school.  It was a very interesting and educational activity for her too!

I found a set of 3 part cards, not intended to be used that way, but as a guide.  I provided X with a container of needles so he can stick the small papers in the right layer of the earth.




I have found this file  here

But then, seeing that his interest exploded about anything constellations, I started to build an activity along this line.

X is crazy about paperwork.  Files!  He adores them.  So, I built something that would have file as a medium:
IN it:

Constellation charts:


They were found at the very good site: Le jardin de Kiran (in french)

They are used to make a constellation projector.  The idea is brilliant.  But lacking the time to do it, I used the cards, punched holes, and we have been projecting our constellation with a flash light on the walls since. 


These cards are very well made, and includes the name of the constellation both in script and cursive letters, along with identification of any phonems by the use of another color.

I have also included


a map of the planets around the sun (also from le jardin de Kiran)

and a chart of earth's layer (on your right hand side):



Everything was put in a blue file folder



much to his delight.

5 comments:

  1. This is amazing and brilliant. I know this will be of great interest in our home in a couple of years. My son's globe is already one of his most treasured possessions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This week/experience has been a huge eye opener for me. I think we do the very most amazing things when we really do follow our children. I had nothing of this planned. I just went with what he was interested about, and of course, everything is a winner.

    I think this is one of the benefit of using Montessori at home instead of school (as long as you don't replicate school at home that is) The possibility to really follow the child, and build whatever unit, activity, or whatever according to the current interest of the child

    Thanks for your kinds words Kylie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I couldn't agree more. I am thinking of Christmas presents and considering a child's microscope. I do remember seeing one in your home (I think!) and wondered if there was a type/kind/brand that you can recommend that worked for X. Also I was hoping it would fix it's self but I cannot view your photographs from some of your previous posts (How X learn - Monday, Have faith in your children and Ocean Mat. The images of the books are Ok but not the photographs. I have been checking back your site frequently. As others have left comments it may just be me or my browser but it has only happened on these posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kylie

    The one I have is a very old microscope. One that was used in school, and sold in a yard sale afterwards. So it is good quality, but outdated (i.e. it looks old, but works super well). So I don't have any brands or anything to recommande. The only thing I CAN say, and I am sure you know that already, is that the better quality, the better. I like how heavy ours is, and for my kids, it seems like an important instrument because of that.

    As for the post, I am surprised! It does work here. Let me tell you what'll do. Since these pics are from Flickr, I'll also put the link. Let me know if that works. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you - the picture are working beautifully.

    ReplyDelete