Tuesday 11 December 2012

Books for the season




Although I have not had the time I wish to answer all the comments I have received (it is the end of the semester...), there is one question that I felt needed a blog post to answer:  What is in the book basket?  I have to admit, looking at this book basket makes it hard for us to pass it by without taking one out and reading (looking, turning the pages...) it.


So what's in there?
First off, when I make a selection of books, I try to have all my little ones in mind, and I also try to have a variety of topics.  This, sometimes, brings lovely new and fresh topics in our conversations, and also stirs new interests.  So you'll see that it is not only about Christmas, but also about everything else that is in the season, for my youngest to my oldest.

1. Stories about winter, snow, and warmth:

The legend of the Poinsettia, The Snow Day, The Quilt Story, Winter,  L'Hiver (Bramberly Hedge mice in french) And Snow

M's (5) favorite is "The quilt story"
E's (2) favorite is by far SNOW (I think I might have read it 100 times since we got it.  This is a new addition
and X's (7) favorite is the Legend of the Poinsettia


2. Informative books

Tout un monde sous la neige, The Shortest Day and The Story of Snow

the favorite by far is The Story of Snow (really amazing book, perfect to match our snow investigating activities!), although we are waiting to be closer to solstice day to read The Shortest Day.

3. Stories about Christmas

The 12 Days of Christmas, Apple Tree Christmas, Casse-Noisette, How The Grinch Stole Christmas, The Story of the Three Wise Kings, Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree

X's favorite is How the Grinch Stole Christmas / The 3 wise Kings
M's favorite is Casse Noisette...again and again
E's favorite is Mr Willowby's Christmas Tree and the images if the 12 days of Christmas

As you can see, our collection is heavy in english books  as we are in a month of intensive english, but Casse-Noisette, a timeless favorite here, sneaked up his way in our basket along with a few others.

Reading books is something we love during our winter months, curling up under a blanket in the couch, looking at snow falling silently.  I guess it might be the reason why there is so many choices in the december basket as opposed to other times when out time is also taken elsewhere.

I'd be curious to know what are your winter favorites?  I would love to add to my list!

3 comments:

  1. What a nice selection of books! My favourite is "Michka" (collection Père Castor). But my daughter is still a little too young to mind what we read as long as we read stories (16 months old). I could try answering your question again next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll surely check it out! THanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto Fred. This is a great selection. My little guy (4 yr) likes "How the Grinch Stole Christmas". I liked "The Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry when I was young.

    ReplyDelete